Minimally invasive crown lengthening with the bone reduction to minimize gingival recession
ABSTRACTObjective: This case performs minimally invasive crown lengthening to minimize the incidence of gingival recession in the interdental area after the crown lengthening procedure. Methode: A patient has subgingival caries in teeth 12, 11, 22, and a lack of clinical crown length of tooth 22 for retention of the restoration. Clinical examination, radiographic photograph, and analysis of case models indicated the need for a crown lengthening procedure with a bone reduction to support the restoration. Crown lengthening was performed minimally invasive by maintaining the attachment of the papilla interdental of central incisors intact. The flap is only performed in areas that required bone reduction without breaking the attachment of the interdental gingiva. The bone reduction was performed using tungsten carbide bur. Results: One week after the crown lengthening showed fast healing and good repositioning of the gingival margins. After 3 months of crown lengthening showed no recession and no inflammation of the gingiva. Conclusion: This technique was effective to minimize gingival recession and increase the stability of the periodontal tissue after crown lengthening.
- Xenoudi P, Karydis A. Crown Lengthening Procedures for Functional and Esthetic Purposes. 2019;
- Nugala B, Santosh Kumar B, Sahitya S, Krishna P. Biologic width and its importance in periodontal and restorative dentistry. In: Journal of Conservative Dentistry. 2012.
- Rose L, Mealey B, Genco R CD. Periodontics: Medicine, Surgery, and Implants. elsevier. 2004.
- Chatterjee S, Mondol S, Desai P, Mukherjee S, Mazumdar P, Trainee G. Blacke Triangle-causes and it’s management. Int J Res Heal Allied Sci. 2019;5(1):35–40.
- Lee EA. Esthetic Crown Lengthening : Contemporary Guidelines for Achieving Ideal Gingival Architecture and Stability. 2017;
- Nautiyal A, Gujjari S, Kumar V. Aesthetic Crown Lengthening Using Chu Aesthetic Gauges And Evaluation of Biologic Width Healing. 2016;51–5.
- Anoop S. Crown lengthening surgery: A periodontal makeup for anterior esthetic restoration. J Interdiscip Dent. 2018;
- Arora R, Narula SC, Sharma RK, Tewari S. Evaluation of Supracrestal Gingival Tissue After Surgical Crown Lengthening: A 6-Month Clinical Study. J Periodontol. 2013;84(7):934–40.
- Malathi K, Singh A. Biologic Width: Understanding and Its Preservation. Int J Med Dent Sci. 2014;
- Majzoub ZAK, Romanos A, Cordioli G. Crown lengthening procedures : A literature review. 2014;20(3):188–207.
- Ahmad I. VERIFIABLE CPD PAPER A guide to minimally invasive crown lengthening and tooth preparation for rehabilitating pink and white aesthetics. Nat Publ Gr [Internet]. 2018;224(4):228–34. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.2018.121
- Of A. COSMETIC AND PERIODONTAL.
- Jc S, Sahrmann P, Weiger R, Pr S, Biologic WC, Schmidt JC, et al. Biologic width dimensions – a systematic review. 2013;493–504.
- Dds TJH, Dds JTD. Contemporary Crown-Lengthening Therapy. J Am Dent Assoc [Internet]. 2010;141(6):647–55. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2010.0252
- Reis F, Santos VR, Miranda TS, Ribeiro F V, Hirata DY, Faveri M, et al. Open-Flap Versus Flapless Esthetic Crown Lengthening : 12-Month Clinical Clinical Trial. 2013;85(4):8–10.
- Marcantonio ACM, De Oliveira GJPL, Scardueli CR, Marcantonio CC, Marcantonio RAC, Marcantonio E. Minimally Invasive Surgery for Clinical Crown Lengthening Using Piezoelectric Ultrasound. Case Rep Dent. 2020;2020.
- Kosyfaki P, del Pilar Pinilla Martín M, Strub JR. Relationship between crowns and the periodontium: a literature update. Quintessence Int. 2010;
- Günay H, Seeger A, Tschernitschek H, Geurtsen W. Placement of the preparation line and periodontal health--a prospective 2-year clinical study. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2000;
How to Cite
Sakinah, N. N., & Kurnia, S. . (2023). Minimally invasive crown lengthening with the bone reduction to minimize gingival recession. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 8(1). https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v8i1.1192