Immediate reconstruction of a large myoepithelial carcinoma ex-pleomorphic adenoma in the palate with an osteocutaneous radial forearm flap: A case report
Objective: A carcinoma ex-pleomorphic adenoma is caused by the long-term presence of pleomorphic adenoma. It is a relatively rare occurrence in the palatine glands.Methods: A 40-year-old man was referred to our department with a complaint of an intraoral mass. At the time of the initial examination, a large elastic hard mass of approximately 10 cm in diameter accompanied by ulceration in parts was found extending from the gingiva of the molar region in the right maxilla throughout the entire palate. Based on the imaging and histopathological examination findings, the clinical diagnosis was suspected to be malignant tumor of the palate.Results: The patient underwent palatal tumor enucleation, right-sided supraomohyoid neck dissection, and immediate reconstruction with an osteocutaneous radial forearm flap under general anesthesia. The histopathological diagnosis was myoepithelial carcinoma ex-pleomorphic adenoma. In addition, postoperative radiation therapy was performed. There has been no evidence of recurrence or metastasis for three years postoperatively.Conclusion: We report a case of large myoepithelial carcinoma ex-pleomorphic adenoma of the hard palate that was immediately reconstructed with an osteocutaneous radial forearm flap.
Keywords: Myoepithelial carcinoma ex-pleomorphic adenoma Osteocutaneous radial forearm flap Immediate reconstruction
- Gnepp DR, Brandwein-Gensler MS, et al: Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma. In Barnes L, Eveson JW, eds: World Health Organization Classification of Tumors, Pathology and Genetics of Head and Neck Tumours, IARC Press, Lyon, 2005, p242-243?
- Williams MD, Ihrler S, et al: Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma. In Adel K, John KC, eds: WHO Classification of Head and Neck Tumours, IARC Press, Lyon, 2016, p176-177?
- Mori M, Yamada K, et al: Multiple expression of keratins, vimentin, and S-100 protein in pleomorphic salivary adenomas. Virchows Arch Cell Pathol 58: 435-444, 1990.
- Sreedharan S, Chandra K, et al: Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma of the maxillary sinus: a case report. Ear Nose Throat J 91: E1-E3, 2012?
- Mariano FV, Noronha ALF, et al: Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma in a Brazilian population: clinico-pathological analysis of 38 cases. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 42: 685-692, 2013.
- Yoshizaki T, Himi Y, et al: Malignant myoepithelioma arising from recurrent pleomorphic adenoma of minor salivary gland. Auris Nasus Larynx 29: 91-94, 2002?
- Gupta A, Manipadam MT, et al: Myoepithelial carcinoma arising in recurrent pleomorphic adenoma in maxillary sinus. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol 17: 427-430, 2013.
- Francesco G, Emanuele C, et al: Myoepithelial Carcinoma Ex Pleomorphic Adenoma of the Maxillary Sinus: A Case Report and Review of Literature. Head Neck Pathol 4, 2021.
- Day TA, Deveikis J, et al: Salivary gland neoplasms. Curr Treat Options Oncol 5: 11-26, 2004.
- Takayama O, Yokoyama J, et al: Therapeutic experience of recurrent myoepithelial carcinoma by superselective intra-arterial chemotherapy infused high-dose CDDP. Auris Nasus Larynx 33: 235-238, 2006.
- Su Y, Roberts D, et al: Risk factors and prognosis for myoepithelial carcinoma of the major salivary glands. Ann Surg Oncol 22: 3701-3707, 2015.
How to Cite
Sakaguchi, T., Yoshida, S., Kobayashi, D., Karube, T., Ochiai, S., & Asoda, S. (2022). Immediate reconstruction of a large myoepithelial carcinoma ex-pleomorphic adenoma in the palate with an osteocutaneous radial forearm flap: A case report. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 7(3). https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v7i3.1281